The aim of the studio is to encourage Design Thinking by applying STEAM Education concepts to a series of hands-on Animation projects using Open Source software.
"Public celebrations of science, technology and education, such as the Arizona SciTech Festival, are critical to raising student and public awareness of the impact science and technology have on our lives, and to inspire the next generation of scientific leaders." - Arizona's Proclamation for Innovation
Spread the Weird Studio is a versatile and collaborative learning space providing an assortment of classes and workshops focused on using open-source software to create Animation, as well as workshops related to many forms of Design, Mixed Media, Arts and Crafts.
What is STEAM?
- Science: Physics, Biology, Optics, Kinematics
- Technology: Computers, Gaming, Software, Programming
- Engineering: Design, Architecture, Mechanics, Aesthetics
- Arts: Animation, Music, Theater, Writing, Visual Arts
- Math: Geometry, Algebra, Calculus, Logic, Analysis
What is Design Thinking?
As apprentices of animation magic, designers communicate visually using symbols and signs through the medium of sketching, diagrams and technical drawings. The "Eureka Moment" in Design Thinking is the moment where the vision and the nature of the problem come together and an appropriate solution has been captured. It happens through practicing, doing and reflecting upon the personal design process.
What is Open Sourcery?
Spread the Weird Studio uses Linux computers with FREE open source software that will work on your own computer.
- Ubuntu Studio Operating System
- 3D Modeling, Animation and Game Creation Suite
- 2D Rigging, Animation and Compositing Software
- 3D Sculpting for Mac & Windows
- Scaleable Vector Graphics Editor
- 2D Animation Flipbook Toolset
- GNU Image Manipulation Program
- Audio Editor
- Apache Version Control Pipeline Integration
what is weird?
- 1. involving or suggesting the supernatural; unearthly or uncanny.
- 2. fantastic; bizarre; quirky.
- 3. Archaic. concerned with or controlling fate or destiny.
- noun: Chiefly Scottish
4. destiny; fate, the Fates.
- adj. weird-er, weird-est
- of, relating to, or suggestive of the preternatural or supernatural.
- of a strikingly odd or unusual character; strange.
unnatural, preternatural. weird, eerie, unearthly, uncanny
- - mysterious and apparently outside natural law
- - suggestive of the fateful intervention of supernatural influences in human affairs
- - seems by its nature to belong to another world
- - mysterious because of its apparent defiance of the laws established by experience
"We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love." ~ Dr. Seuss
- Ton of Clay Productions - Animation, Design and 3D Modeling
- Exquisite Corpse - Collaborative Art Project / Surreal Parlor Game
- The Open Source Animation Collective - MeetUp Group
- Spread the Weird - Twitter Vines